Friday, June 16, 2017

THE FASCINATION OF THE 1:1 RATIO

It is true: it's really very hard to remake a battle at 1:1 ratio. Yes. Because when you decide to re-fight a battle you know that you also have to prepare 30.000 or even 50.000 paper soldiers.
I moved a little towards little engagements in order to minimalize the work. But the wors remains huge in any way.
I was wondering whether to change the ratio to 1:5; still I don't know.
Surely - and I hope no one will get offended - when I see the wargames boards filled up with 1.000 soldiers representing 30.000 men, well it seems to me like a pick-nick meeting with some funny "sbandieratori" from the Palio of Siena.
So I try to compare some pictures of the same event to give the idea of the differences: here I attach the diorama/wargame from the blog "Der Alte Fritz" (by the way it's really a fantastic blog, full of ideas and passion) just to give an exemple of the attack on the church of Leuthen
Risultati immagini per leuthen wargame
 Top: it seems that the battalion is around 60 figures, i.e. 1:10 ratio (already great ratio!)
Again. in the following picture you can have another example


As you can easly see, each batallion is formed by about 24 figures, representing around 500 men, with a ratio 1:20.

Just to give you a glance for comparing I attach here some pictures of the same zone of the battle of Leuthen (the attack around the Catholich Church of the village) at 1:1 ratio


























No comments:

Post a Comment